AttachFile.cfm API problem

Have a question about Bullhorn's HTTP based APIs? You've found the right place.

API Update [posted on December 13, 2012]:

This version of the Bullhorn APIs should no longer be used.

All new work should be done using Bullhorn's REST or Web Services APIs. For more information please visit: http://developer.bullhorn.com/documentation

Bullhorn REST API provides a simpler and faster way for developers to build applications that interact with the Bullhorn platform and is used by Bullhorn Inc. to develop features of the Bullhorn ATS/CRM application.

Of the BullhornSTAFFING HTTP API interfaces listed below, our analysis shows that the following are most commonly used by developers:

Resume Parsing API
Published Job Data (XML)
The interface to these will continue to work as is because Bullhorn will replace the back end to use REST API. The URLs for these 2 specific APIs may change in the 2nd half of 2013; developers may require to update their applications to use the new URLs.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons

sddi
User

AttachFile.cfm API problem

Post by sddi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi. We seem to be having a problem with the AttachFile.cfm API call. On occasion, uploaded files get attached to the wrong user. Sometimes it is resumes, sometimes other file types. Because of this, we added some code to capture what was being sent to the API call for every file upload. On 2011/06/29 at approximately 03:44:08 PM Pacific time one of our users (PLID 219, userID 4996633) uploaded a new file (type - Miscellaneous, name - Professional Photo). That file was not attached to his profile. Instead a different file from someone else ended up being attached to his profile. Please review your log files for that day/time and let me know how this could have happened.

Thanks,
jb

apsmith
Site Admin

Re: AttachFile.cfm API problem

Post by apsmith » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 am

Jb,

Our logs do not contain the entire POST command, so we cannot see this level of granularity. For the issue that you are reporting, I wonder if your site is possibly having simulaneous threads criss crossing.

For the example you have, do you know if the incorrect file was posted at the same time as the correct one?
Andrew Smith
Director, Technical Operations
Developer Forum Admin

sddi
User

Post by sddi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Andrew,
There were no other files being uploaded by any other users within a couple of hours before or after that time. He uploaded both a new resume (which worked fine) and the new photo.

jb

apsmith
Site Admin

Post by apsmith » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 am

jb,

Sorry for the delay in responding, how many examples of this mixup have you seen? This is the first time that I have had this behavior reported.

Can you post the details of how you are posting the files? (remove security credentials of course)
Andrew Smith
Developer Forum Admin

sddi
User

Post by sddi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Andrew,
These are the post fields for the specific instance I cited above:

[privateLabelID] => 219
[encryptedAPIKey] => xxxxxxxxxx
[userID] => 4996633
[userFile] => @C:\WINDOWS\Temp\phpAF.jpg
[updateResumeOverview] => FALSE
[isSendOut] => 1
[type] => Miscellaneous
[name] => Professional Photo

We have seen at least 6 instances of this happening. There could be a lot more since we only discover it when a candidate's record is accessed to review their qualifications and, for example, the resume is for someone else.

Thanks,
jb

apsmith
Site Admin

Post by apsmith » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:13 am

jb,

I have checked our logs and cannot see anything out of the ordinary in receiving these posts.

Can you perhaps add some extra logging to just these file attachments? Then we can see exactly what is being posted each time, perhaps there is some sort of pattern of the incorrect ones vs the correct ones.
Andrew Smith
Developer Forum Admin

sddi
User

Post by sddi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am

Andrew,
I am currently logging all of the post fields that get sent to Bullhorn. What else would you like for me to log?

Thanks,
jb

apsmith
Site Admin

Post by apsmith » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:32 pm

jb,

Can you perhaps do an analysis of this to see if there is anything unique for the examples you have that are failing vs the ones that are correct?
Andrew Smith
Developer Forum Admin