Update Candidate Modality via Update Profile API

Have a question about Bullhorn's HTTP based APIs? You've found the right place.

API Update [posted on December 13, 2012]:

This version of the Bullhorn APIs should no longer be used.

All new work should be done using Bullhorn's REST or Web Services APIs. For more information please visit: http://developer.bullhorn.com/documentation

Bullhorn REST API provides a simpler and faster way for developers to build applications that interact with the Bullhorn platform and is used by Bullhorn Inc. to develop features of the Bullhorn ATS/CRM application.

Of the BullhornSTAFFING HTTP API interfaces listed below, our analysis shows that the following are most commonly used by developers:

Resume Parsing API
Published Job Data (XML)
The interface to these will continue to work as is because Bullhorn will replace the back end to use REST API. The URLs for these 2 specific APIs may change in the 2nd half of 2013; developers may require to update their applications to use the new URLs.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons

horizon
User

Update Candidate Modality via Update Profile API

Post by horizon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm building an API interface and I have had success creating a new candidate and setting the value of contact fields and the modality/specialty (categoryID) field. However when trying to update the modality/specialty field using the Profile Update API I get the response "SUCCESS" but the record does not change.

I have tested it in the API at http://www.bullhornstaffing.com/Bullhor ... PITest.cfm as well as posting it from my code.

The private label ID is 1577.

The XML that I am posting to the xmlData field is:

<root><BHCandidate><USERID>76377</USERID><CATEGORYID>178777</CATEGORYID></BHCandidate></root>

Why is this resulting in a result "SUCCESS" but not updating the record?
Bill Harper

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:50 am

I took a look at the code. Try just "category" versus "categoryID".

horizon
User

Tried Category...no go

Post by horizon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:47 am

Same result. "Success" but no change to the Bull Horn data.
Bill Harper

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Apparently, the syntax is actually:

Code: Select all

<root><BHCandidate><USERID>76377</USERID><CATEGORY><CATEGORYID>199886</CATEGORYID></CATEGORY></BHCandidate></root> 
I know it's confusing.

horizon
User

That did it.

Post by horizon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks! That did the trick. Is the XML structure documented anywhere? I'm going to be doing some more candidate updating in the near future.
Bill Harper

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Sorry, no. The only documentation that exists currently are these forums and the test pages themselves. Some formatting issues are already discussed if you run a search on the forum.

haleymarketing
User

Post by haleymarketing » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Bill, not sure if this will help you, but I have found that using the other APIs, I can find the appropriate formatting. So, in this case, run the Candidate/Contact Profile Lookup selecting a record that already exists in Bullhorn. This will give you a solid starting point for what your XML should look like to submit to the Profile Update API.

Victoria
Haley Marketing specializes in creating affordable relationship marketing, e-mail and direct mail campaigns, and providing creative services that make it easy for staffing companies to stand out, stay top-of-mind, and sell more.