Job Application

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

eric
User

Job Application

Post by eric » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

I am working on a site where general updates are being made, and while doing the updates we are moving from the "Legacy API" which is being discontinued to new "REST API". We need to be able to accept job submissions via our website like we previously did. While implementing this I ran into a few questions that are not clear in the REST documentation:
  • I was told I need to create a JobSubmission record for these applications (even though the documentation indicates this record is for candidates that have been vetted). I was told I just need to ensure the status of the new JobSubmission record has the value of "New Lead". Is this correct? Since a JobSubmission record needs a Candidate I assume I also need to create a Candidate record?
  • Users tend to apply for more than one job. I assume we want to avoid having duplicate Candidate records. So a single user has a single Candidate record which is tied to one or more JobSubmission records. Can I assume the web service will do this sort of duplicate detection? Or do I need to first use the API to search the existing candidates (based on email?) and only create a new Candidate if an existing one cannot be found?
  • Sometimes users apply for the same job more than once. Can I assume the web service will filter these sort of duplicates. Or do I need to use the API to search for existing JobSubmission records with the same job and candidate that I am currently submitting?
  • Under the old API we had the ability to do resume parsing (to help populate the candidate record) as well as the ability to actually upload the resume document. I don't see anything about this in the REST API. Am I just missing it?
Let me know if you have any questions that will assist in you answering my questions. Thank you for your time.

mgiordano
Bullhorn Support Staff

Re: Job Application

Post by mgiordano » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

Hello Eric

I have answered your questions below. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. It is true that the candidate status needs to be in New Lead for the record to show on the web response list when they come in as a submission. Once the person has been qualified the status can be changed to submitted for it to count against the job. A candidate record is needed for the submission so one will need to be created.

2. You will need to build a look up to ensure that there are not duplicate candidate records coming into Bullhorn. If there isn't an existing record then a record can be created.

3. The same as 2 a look up will need to be built to ensure duplicate submissions are not entered. You can create multiple JobSubmission dtos with the same candidateID but tied to different jobOrderID.

4. As of right now Rest does not have a parsing functionality. This is feature is currently being built. A workaround now can be to use the legacy parsing feature with the rests to parse in your record.

Thank you
Matt

eric
User

Post by eric » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 am

4. As of right now Rest does not have a parsing functionality. This is feature is currently being built. A workaround now can be to use the legacy parsing feature with the rests to parse in your record.
Two followup questions relating to this:

1. I want to confirm the suggested strategy it to use the legacy API to parse the resume. Figure out what fields in the XML returned by the parsing API match up to the fields and records in the new API and create/update the appropriate records. Then when the new REST-based version of the parsing API comes out we will need to redo this bit since the legacy API will be discontinued at some point.

2. What about the actual file? Even though the parsing API will read the resume and extract out info we will still want the actual file attached to the candidate record as well. I didn't see anything about uploading files in the REST API. Should we also use the legacy API for that?

mgiordano
Bullhorn Support Staff

Post by mgiordano » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am

Hello Eric

That is correct you can use the legacy resume parsing API for now as well as the legacy file attach API for both actions.

Thanks
Matt