Failure to connect to Bullhorn

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

GuntaL
User

Failure to connect to Bullhorn

Post by GuntaL » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:48 am

Had developped a registration form on Wordpress in order to let Candidates upload their registration forms and to have access to their profiles, where they are able to update information. Everything was working until previous weekend when suddenly all registration forms failled to register without any obvious reason. Tried to cntact BH support and they transferred me to the forum in order to find the reason why this issue is happening.
I would like to upload my configuration PHP file, which is used in order to make all calls to BH and generate authorization, tokens, sessions, session renewal. As all functions that are calling for Bullhorn are failling without any error, thought maybe you can have a look on it and help to identify the issue.
Just verified PHP version and it is 5.4.38 that hasn't been changed since begining of January, so that is not a pausible caue of failure.
config_BH_php.txt
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 668 times

srg.bdavis
User

Re: Failure to connect to Bullhorn

Post by srg.bdavis » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm more of a .net guy so I can't comment on the php code, but is it possible someone inadvertently changed the api username and password in Bullhorn (or perhaps deactivated the account)?

The other thing I would do is use something like Postman or Fiddler to walk through each of the authorization steps manually.

GuntaL
User

Post by GuntaL » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 am

Did go fully through Postman to make sure that all authorization information is correct as described by Bullhorn Support. All credentials are correct and therefore no more source of worries as first it was approved by Bullhorn, then by doing manual POSTS by Postman, so there is something changed on the server side and one of the functions are not working.
After contacting Bullhorn Support, our hosting company was contacted as well and they claimed that no updates were made in the period when failure to connect to Bullhorn happened.
After testing every single line and parameters they are returning, I do think that the failure to connect is caused by CURL, even if the
$url are all correct before creating a curl session
curl_init -> returns true
curl_setopt_array -> returns 1 (what means true and is successful)
curl_exec -> returns either NULL or FALSE, as the function make_http_request is called multiple times in order to get all necessary information, following errors are retrieved:
{
"error": "invalid_grant",
"error_description": "Invalid, expired, or revoked authorization code."
}
and
then for access_token to make GET request to access to user profile:
{
"errorMessage": "Invalid or expired OAuth access token."
}

Both of these errors make sense since it seems that no valid $url is returned from curl_exec to pass it further for processing to get a valid AuthCode.
Tried to use recommendations from following post on Support forum to avoid usage of makeHttpRequest in my example on http://supportforums.bullhorn.com/viewtopic.php?t=14542.

Ended up with the same errors. Bullhorn Support seems to be very unsupportive as they refuse to identify the cause of the problem and I don't know where to look further.

CURL version is 7.15.5 and it is enabled, so wouldn't expect it to fail, but the only thing that is returning - is FALSE or NULL - error.. With the given array containing login information for our API user. Checked also open_basedir value that is not set that should not affect the function behavior and Safe_mode doesn't exist in PHP 5.4.38 anymore, so that shouldn't cause any failures as well.
Last edited by GuntaL on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuntaL
User

Post by GuntaL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:54 am

After deeper inspection and repeated assistance demanded from the developer of the registration form, has identified that our Bullhorn client has some restrictions as using other Bullhorn client credentials on our server all information is being retrieved and updated.

Is there anyone in Bullhorn who is willing to take care of their customers?? As the email support is day to day different - either mean guy who says that everything is working properly or someone who is trying at least to do a research and try different options. Today I got a mean one, he haven't responded to my last email, where he clearly doesn't go deeper into problem as using POSTMAN everything works as it should using the defined links and using a STANDARD procedure on Bullhorn side, no issue is identified, though we are clearly unable to use our REST API user in the way it is meant and during the last 3 weeks it have just caused damage to our business.

s.emmons
User

Post by s.emmons » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi Guntal,

Do you still have a ticket open with Bullhorn Support? Can you send me the number of ticket you opened?
Sam Emmons
Enterprise Team Lead
BULLHORN
US Support 617-478-9126

GuntaL
User

Post by GuntaL » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:18 am

Hi Sam!

25th March Bullhorn identified that URI for our client http://www.bullhorn.com/clientlogin.php is different from Bullhorn default URI, which is simply http://www.bullhorn.com/ and that it might affect ability to use the API. After changing this URI to Bullhorn default issue was gone and we are able to use our REST API again as all functions are working properly. No changes were needed to be done on our server side.
In case you want to keep the problem in mind and a solution that worked in our case and to check your support answers, the ticket Number is: 01941093

Unfortunately Bullhorn support policy doesn't allow to put signatures under their email answers, so cannot really say who helped to find that this specific URI was different from BH default and who was the mean guy who had just one answer - that everything works properly and it is our code's fault for which BH is not giving ANY support and directing to developers forum. All this took a lot of time and confusion as we were chasing our developer, hosting company and Bullhorn. It didn't show the support in the best light as the issue was solved more than 3 weeks after the issue was identified even if the solution was quite simple. I am glad that it got sorted out, but the problems are there and only part of the support team is there to help out their customers.

s.emmons
User

Post by s.emmons » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am

Hi GuntaL,

I'm really sorry that you had trouble working with us on this issue. I'll make sure this feedback gets to our management team.

If there's anything else we can do help at the moment, please let me know!
Sam Emmons
Enterprise Team Lead
BULLHORN
US Support 617-478-9126