Problems getting started with the API

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's new REST API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

alipscomb1
User

Problems getting started with the API

Postby alipscomb1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm new to both Bullhorn and the Bullhorn REST API. I've been trying to access the API for awhile and I'm apparently missing something fundamental. Here's what I've done so far.

- I got a support ticket created to get access.
- I received a Client ID, Client Secret, and an "API Username" and password.
- I could, and still can, use this information to get an authorization code just be entering the URL in a browser and logging in with the API Username.
- Initially I could use the authorization code to get an access code.(Currently, I'm using Postman for this and other calls.)
- I got stuck soon after, however, when I tried to retrieve some Bullhorn data. I couldn't get any. I didn't actually record that response at the time.
- I also found that I could not register with the Developer Forum, so I couldn't ask any questions at the time. I could complete a request, but I never received the confirmation email
- I got someone to create a new support ticket.
- I received a new "Bullhorn Username" and an explanation that my earlier problems stemmed from the fact that my email domain didn't match the Bullhorn client's domain.
- Now I can still get an authorization code as before (using the original API Username) but when I try to get an access token I get this:
{
"error": "invalid_grant",
"error_description": "Invalid, expired, or revoked authorization code."
}

So where do I go from here? Is an "API Username" different from a "Bullhorn Username?" Is an authorization code tied to the API Username that was originally granted access? Do I need ask someone to create a new support ticket to get access? If so, what information will they need to include in the support ticket?

alipscomb1
User

Re: Problems getting started with the API

Postby alipscomb1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:45 am

Here's an update. I called support and got a brand-new Api Username, Client ID, and Client Secret. Using the new info, I was able to get an authorization code as before. Using that, I posted the following using Postman.

Code: Select all

https://auth.bullhornstaffing.com/oauth/token?grant_type=authorization_code&code=33%3Axxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx&client_id=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx&client_secret=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note that I left the 33%3A prefix on the auth_code. I've double-checked all the values. I still get the same error:

{
"error": "invalid_grant",
"error_description": "Invalid, expired, or revoked authorization code."
}

Can anyone help?

DaveNorthCreek
User

Re: Problems getting started with the API

Postby DaveNorthCreek » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Any progress since this post? I can help out- I remember how frustrating it was getting traction with OAuth and Bullhorn.

It can be done. It does make sense once you're through this phase. I and others have working code that 'just works' and connects to Bullhorn whenever we need it to. :-)

I'll try to check in here, or email me: dave@northcreek.ca

Dave
North Creek Consulting, Inc.

Return to “REST API”