REST API /file/Candidate/{entityID}

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's new REST API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

fjdev1
User

REST API /file/Candidate/{entityID}

Postby fjdev1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:49 pm

I am trying to upload and associate files (pdf, doc, docx, txt) with Candidate entities in Bullhorn. I am able to successfully send PUT requests to create new candidates, and create new JobSubmissions with PUT requests for these Candidates; I am not finding success in associating files with candidates. Uploads of the files are working, but I am unable to create an association between the file on the server with the Candidate entity using the REST API - it has been difficult finding others with similar experiences.

I have been attempting to send PUT requests to the /file/Candidate/{entityID} endpoint, but I do not know if this is the right API endpoint to hit. Does this seem like an appropriate approach? Any insight or advice would be extremely appreciated and valuable. I am interested in what an appropriate HTTP request format would look like in order to receive a successful response from the API. If it would make things easier, I would be happy to provide code snippets or answer any questions. But a general overview how to to perform this task would be much appreciated!

From what I can tell, the most recent up-to-date documentation is located at http://bullhorn.github.io/rest-api-docs/. If there are other resources I would be thrilled to check them out! Thank you for helping me out!

srg.bdavis
User

Re: REST API /file/Candidate/{entityID}

Postby srg.bdavis » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 am

You are correct using PUT requests to /file/Candidate/{entityId}.

In the json body, I personally send the fileContent field as a Base64 encoded string. A couple of other things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure the fileType field is set to "SAMPLE"
2. I've always set the ExternalID to "portfolio" based on the documentation example, although I can't say if other values work.
3. Ensure your contentType is set correctly. For example, a Word .doc is "application/msword" while a Word .docx is "application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"

Regards,
Brent

Return to “REST API”