Duplicate Candidate Issue

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

Freshworks
User

Duplicate Candidate Issue

Post by Freshworks » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 am

Hello and thank you in advance,

I'm new to Bullhorn and was tasked with solving an issue with an existing API integration:

The client website has a custom online job application process that allows users to attach a resume file, which is then parsed for contact information and is submitted along with the job ID to create a web response. A JobSubmission entity is created with the status of 'New Lead' upon submission.

The client is having an issue where the same user is applying to multiple jobs which is creating multiple instances of the same user in the Bullhorn system.

I'm having difficulty understanding what the best solution for this issue would be. Assuming that if an existing user could be determined via a search for existing information (such as an email address), what would be the best approach to attach that user's information to multiple job postings without creating multiple instances of that user?

Thanks again,

Brodie

mfinleybh
User

Re: Duplicate Candidate Issue

Post by mfinleybh » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 am

Greetings Freshworks,

Could this be happening due to the applicant using different email addresses?

I'd check the duplicate records front facing to see if they have different primary email addresses.

If they are the same, I'd recommend implementing an email primary checker within your API logic to prevent adding duplicates.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Mathew Finley | Analyst, Enterprise Support | Boston

Bullhorn Support US: 617-478-9126
Bullhorn Support UK: 44 800 032 2848
Bullhorn Support Australia: 61 28 073 5089
Bullhorn Support International: 617-478-9131

Freshworks
User

Post by Freshworks » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for the reply. The applicants are using the same email addresses and there is currently no check for this, so it's not surprising that the duplicates are being creating; however, that's not the main issue.

What I'm not sure about is how the job and applicant are connected to each other. Using the JobSubmission entity, is a Candidate entity even being created? How would one go about ensuring that the job posting shows the applicant has applied, but duplicate applicant information is not being repeated within Bullhorn?

It's how the the linking between the job and the applicant is being handled that I'm unclear on.

mfinleybh
User

Post by mfinleybh » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Greetings Freshworks,

To implement this you would have to code to pull in the candidate information, do a search on email address (usually) and then make it add the existing candidate if it returned results; Else create a new candidate ID.

Best,

Mathew Finley | Enterprise Support