Can not create candidate note

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's Webservices API suite

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

ssullivan.cpg
User

Can not create candidate note

Post by ssullivan.cpg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am

We cannot create a candidate note through the API, we also cannot create a pdf file (this is already posted). Steve

apsmith
Site Admin

Re: Can not create candidate note

Post by apsmith » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 am

Steve,

Please post additional details on this issue, are you getting an error?
Andrew Smith
Director, Technical Operations
Developer Forum Admin

perickson449
User

Post by perickson449 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 am

No, we are not getting an error. The note does not show up in the Notes tab (although we see that the note count has increased). Strangely, we can see the note in the Overview tab, but this is not ideal because we can only see the last 10 notes here. Also, we cannot edit or filter from the Overview tab, only the Notes tab. It doesn't make sense for the note to not display in the Notes tab so we must assume it is a bug. I am using the API from C#. I can post sample code if you think this will help.

apsmith
Site Admin

Post by apsmith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am

perickson,

Thanks for this detail, this means that the API is functioning correctly, but it would seem that you searching indexing is experiencing an issue. Can you please open up a ticket with Bullhorn Support and I will help it to be looked at ASAP.
Andrew Smith
Director, Technical Operations
Developer Forum Admin

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:20 am

I've got EXACTLY the same issue.

i.e. Add a candidate note through the API - The note count updates, the note shows up in the last 10 notes in the overview tab, but the note itself (in the notes tab) doesn't show up?!?!?

If I save the note by using the popup editor url and changing the noteid on the querystring ( .../EditUserComment_Existing.cfm?userCommentID=noteID ) then note will then magically appear in the notes tab.

But with 10,000+ notes to import that's not really an option :)

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 am

To pre-empt some questions.

Yes, I'm using the addNoteReference to point to the candidate (as well as setting the personid field in the first place)

Our corporationId is 4446.

The candidateId is 10

Having compared a visible note against an invisible note (using visual studio to check the properties), the only difference I can see is a working note has the JobOrderID & JobOrderIDSpecified. Even though the invisible note also has a joborder reference added via the addNoteReference

c.choy
User

Post by c.choy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26 am

Hi Martin,

Can you tell let me know if the notes you are creating through the API's are appearing on the notes page the day after? There is currently an issue that we're working to resolve that involves the notes not appearing until the next day. If that's not the case I might ask that you create a support ticket and reference this post and we can work in more detail off of that.

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:43 am

Ok.

Although I just raised it as a request (via our Admin contact) about 15 minutes ago! [ I think it's #275549 ]

Seems a bit odd that the notes show up "instantly" as soon as they are re-saved via the Bullhorn web site. The only problem waiting 24hrs is that I'm supposed to be importing all our old notes over the next 2 days (it's a public holiday for the next 2 days in the UK ), until we've got our notes loaded we can't really use Bullhorn properly. And 25,000 candidate/client notes takes a long time to load!

But I'll load a few dozen notes and see what happens tomorrow. I'm very reluctant to load more than a handful until I know there isn't a proper issue, or we've missed something in our import code.

Thanks

Martin

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:08 am

Sorry I got the wrong support ticket ref! It's 120604-000042

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:24 am

Well it's 24hrs later - and there's still no sign of the notes, and our support ticket hasn't been touched since it was opened.

And I don't get the "it will fix itself 24hrs later" thing either. Fair enough if there's some kind of database fix-up process that runs everyday - but wouldn't this run at a fixed time of day?

KKiernan
User

Post by KKiernan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Could you please share your code that is creating the note?

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 pm

c#

Code: Select all

noteDto = new BullHornAPI.noteDto();
noteDto.commentingPersonID = mbhSession.userId;
noteDto.commentingPersonIDSpecified = true;
noteDto.dateAdded = Convert.ToDateTime(strDT);
noteDto.dateAddedSpecified = true;
noteDto.personReferenceID = iPersonID;
noteDto.personReferenceIDSpecified = true;
noteDto.isDeleted = false;
noteDto.isDeletedSpecified = true;
noteDto.action = "Other";
noteDto.minutesSpent = 0;
noteDto.minutesSpentSpecified = true;

BullHornAPI.apiSaveResult objSave = mbhService.save(mstrSession, noteDto);
mstrSession = objSave.session;
noteDto = (BullHornAPI.noteDto)objSave.dto;

iNoteID = noteDto.noteID;

BullHornAPI.apiAddNoteReferenceResult objRefSave = mbhService.addNoteReference(mstrSession, iNoteID, strUserType, iPersonID);
strUserType is "Candidate", but we're using the same code to add client notes
iPersonID is the bullhorn id for the relevant candidate/client
strDT is the date time stamp for the note
iTenderID is the joborder id
mbhSession.userId is our corporate user id

I haven't included all the other code for starting the bullhorn session etc, because that's working fine. In fact all the code works without error! The problem is that the notes only show in the overview tab, but not in the notes tab.

I'm also setting fields that aren't documented like the jobOrderID (when we have a vacancy to go with the note), and some that aren't required (like minutesSpent) - but that's only out of desperation! I'm been trying to sort out whatever the problem is. To be honest if the bullhorn support guys could look at the database it would probably be quite obvious what the issue is - more than willing to admit that we've made a mistake!

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Quick update on this (for anybody else with the same issue)

Still not sure what the problem is/was - but the notes have now appeared in the notes tab, but still not for freshly imported notes. Presumably these will appear in 24 ->36 hrs time.

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:35 am

Seems to working fine now, without any changes. So whatever the problem was - it's gone away!

MartinN2
User

Post by MartinN2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Spoke too soon. Newly imported notes aren't showing up again in the notes tab, although I expect they will after 24hrs.

Also the notes seem to randomly completely vanish if you hit refresh - sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't. Very odd.