PHP: Search, List, Detail, and Appy Guidance

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's Webservices API suite

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

brandon.burkett
User

PHP: Search, List, Detail, and Appy Guidance

Post by brandon.burkett » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Hello,

We are working with a client and are working towards integrating with the bullhorn API. We have an account, API key, and are able to successfully login and run the sample query code in this article: http://developer.bullhorn.com/Getting_S ... es_and_PHP

I had a few entity / core operation questions related to the main task we want to accomplish and we were pointed towards this forum to get guidance on a few topics.

JOB LIST AND DETAIL VIEWS
- we are able to pull jobs using the query method and the JobOrders entity
- the documentation is pretty good, but are their any "best practices" for listing open jobs (mainly "where clause items"). EX: is it best to use isDeleted=0 AND isOpen=1? Other common fields I should look at?
- I noticed a lot of inline styles / HTML used in the description and publicDescription fields. I assume bullhorn lets users post HTML into the fields?

JOB SEARCH
- I did not see any formalized "search" method in the core operations (documentation).
- It looks like it would be best just to use the query method and have wildcards like % in the "where" clause. Is this accurate?

APPLY FORM
- I wasn't sure which entities I should work with here and/or which order so that we could have an Apply Form on our website (submitting over the API). Should I add a Candidate using the save method, then add a JobSubmission using the save method to related the Candidate to the JobOrder?
- How does the resume upload work? Would I use AddFile and Associate methods to relate an uploaded file to a Candidate?
- My goal here is to try to get an understanding of which entities are involved so I have a starting point, I did not see a tutorial on this topic.
- Any best practices on this topic?

SHARE JOB WITH A FRIEND FORM

- I am not even sure this is part of the API system, but I have seen it on a few sites with integrated Bullhorn
- Similar to the apply form, my goal here is to try to get an understanding of which entities are involved so I have a starting point, I did not see a tutorial on this topic.
- Any best practices on this topic?

Thank you in advance.
Brandon

brandon.burkett
User

Re: PHP: Search, List, Detail, and Appy Guidance

Post by brandon.burkett » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 am

Anyone?

s.emmons
User

Post by s.emmons » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Brandon,

Sorry it took so long for a response to your post. I've got some information / tips for you that will hopefully help.

Job List / Detail Views
- Ultimately the best practice is going to depend on your client's field mapping configuration and workflow for publishing jobs. Many of our clients use the "Publish" feature in Bullhorn, which will toggle the isPublic field. In addition to that, you are correct that isOpen and isDeleted are good to use as a best practice so you don't pull any unwanted jobs.
- A typical example (XML) of this would be: <where>isOpen='1' AND isPublic ='1' AND isDeleted='1'</where>
- Your client might also use status as a signifier, but it really does depend on their configuration and workflow, so you will want to consult with them on that.

Job Search
- You are correct that the operation you need to use is query. This will return a list of ID(s) which you can then use either the find or findMulitple operation to retreive the DTOs.

Apply Form
- This article might be a good reference just in terms of understanding candidates, so I recommend checking it out: http://developer.bullhorn.com/Working_with_Candidates
- In general, the workflow for an apply form goes as follows (API operation in parentheses): Add Candidate (save) -> Attach Resume (addFile) -> Add Submission (save)
- The entities involved here are Candidate and JobSubmission
- The JobOrder is not directly involved in this workflow, but you will need the ID of the job the candidate applied to when creating the JobSubmission so it has the proper association to the job record in Bullhorn.

Share Job With a Friend Form
- I am not personally familiar with this functionality, but it sounds like it is just some type of method to grab data from a job record in Bullhorn and dump it in the body of an email message that can be sent to someone. In this case, you would use the find operation to grab a JobOrder DTO -> extract the necessary data -> add it to the email message
- Find requires an entity ID, so if the ID is not known, the query operation is required first to obtain the ID, then the find can be run to obtain the DTO

Sam Emmons
Enterprise Support Engineer
B U L L H O R N
Staffing and Recruiting Software, On Target, On Demand
33-41 Farnsworth Street, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02210
617-478-9126 (main)
http://www.bullhorn.com
Sam Emmons
Enterprise Team Lead
BULLHORN
US Support 617-478-9126

brandon.burkett
User

Post by brandon.burkett » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Sam,

Thank you for your thorough reply. We will doing some testing and I will let you know if I have any other questions on these topics.

Thanks,
Brandon