Merged candidate problem

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's Webservices API suite

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

ross.mcleod
User

Merged candidate problem

Post by ross.mcleod » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:54 am

Hi

I am having a problem with candiate records that have been merged. We built a candidate portal for our website where the candidate is free to login to and update their contact details etc which is then updated in bullhorn. The website uses ASP.Net membership and associates the candidates bullhorn id with their candidate record so that when they login to the website their candidate details are pulled from bullhorn.

However we've discovered a problem with candidates who's records have been merged. Although all their details are picked up ok their status remains the same as their old record in bullhorn. For example:

If a candidate has perviously registered with and has a status of 'suitable' if they are then merged into another record for them where the status is 'unsuitable' then the website will pick up all their details but their status will be 'suitable' because that is the candidate ID recorded in the website DB.

Can someone tell me how I pick up the correct status for merged candidate records. I have been unable to find the information in the documentation?!

Many thanks

pmularski
Bullhorn Support Staff

Re: Merged candidate problem

Post by pmularski » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Good Afternoon Ross,

I just want to make sure I have the correct information. You are merging two candidates in Bullhorn, and the portal system is pulling the child account? Or are you merging the candidate records on your ASP.net service?
Patrick Mularski
Senior Enterprise Support Analyst
B U L L H O R N
Staffing and Recruiting Software, On Target, On Demand
Bullhorn Support Contact Numbers
US: 617-478-9126
UK: 44 800 032 2848
Australia: 61 28 073 5089
International: 617-478-9131

ross.mcleod
User

Post by ross.mcleod » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 am

Hi

The problem occurs when two candidate records are merged in bullhorn. Basically the way we have our website set up is that there is a registration form which automatically adds the candidate record into bullhorn. It then saves the bullhorn candidate ID into a local database linked to the asp.net membership id. This has allowed us to create a candidate portal where by they can update their information in bullhorn.

What seems to be happening is this. If a candidates has two records e.g. candidateID 99 with a status of "ok" and candidate record id 200 with a status of "Bad". If the website database has the 99 id stored but the account has been merged in bullhorn from 99 into 200 then they are still able to login and see their details however the status retrieved is "ok" from the original record. Basically the merged records are not merging the status.

Please can you tell me how to get the correct status through the API? Or if there is a way to set up a service that will pick up the ID change and update the website database.

Many thanks

Ross

Alliance
User

Post by Alliance » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 am

Basically the merged records are not merging the status.
How exactly are you merging the two Candidate DTOs? Are you certain you're not overwriting other fields when you merge? Can you perform a dump of the Candidate DTO structures before and after the merge (so 3 structure dumps in total) and compare?
I'm not in ASP.Net but ran into a similar situation where the Candidate updated contact info and data wasn't "properly" merged into BH. It ended up being how I was executing the merge on my end.

ross.mcleod
User

Post by ross.mcleod » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks for the response, the merge is being done within the Bullhorn application rather than the website so the fields shouldn't be being overwritten. It is purely a problem with the status not being picked up correctly through the API. All other fields are correct.

Alliance
User

Post by Alliance » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds like you're using the Merge Duplicate Records method. I misunderstood, I thought you were using the API to merge the Candidates.

ross.mcleod
User

Post by ross.mcleod » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:03 am

Yes that is what is happening, however is causing a problem with the website. Is there a way for the API to identify that a record has been merged and what the new record is?

Alliance
User

Post by Alliance » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:21 am

I haven't done this but you may want to check out if Custom Form Triggers can intercept the Merge event you're doing in Bullhorn. Seems like a logical place to start.

pmularski
Bullhorn Support Staff

Post by pmularski » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Good Afternoon ross.mcleod,

What you are describing is the basic functionality of merging two candidate records within Bullhorn. When you merge two candidate records, the primary record's status will remain. In this case, if candidate 99 is the parent, the merged status will be "ok." If the 200 is the parent, the merged status will be "Bad."

Let us continue the same scenario in the API world. The candidate created a user account which has an id of 99. When candidate 99 is merged into 200, the database sets 99 as soft deleted. The login information is still valid, because the database value for id 99 still exists. So when the candidate attempts to log in using the credentials for id 99, the database will still allow it because those credentials still exist.

This turns into a sticky situation, because of the continued existance of id 99. Unfortunately, there is not a coding workaround that will allow you to know when a record has been merged. Your users will need to be instructed to send the updated login information after running a candidate merge.
Patrick Mularski
Senior Enterprise Support Analyst
B U L L H O R N
Staffing and Recruiting Software, On Target, On Demand
Bullhorn Support Contact Numbers
US: 617-478-9126
UK: 44 800 032 2848
Australia: 61 28 073 5089
International: 617-478-9131