JobOrder unpublished requirements

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's Webservices API suite

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

enapoleone
User

JobOrder unpublished requirements

Post by enapoleone » Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 am

Hello,

My client wants to post all Requirements that they see through the Bullhorn Admin under status Accepting Candidates and Candidate Submitted. I can achieve this only through two separate queries like follows:

Code: Select all

isDeleted=0 AND isOpen=1 AND status='Accepting Candidates'
And

isDeleted=0 AND isOpen=1 AND status='Candidate Submitted'
However my client has warned me that there are Requirements that they are forbidden to post and they will lose their business relationship with those clients if they do. Thus I am concerned that the two above queries will pull Requirements that are forbidden. I notice that there's a isPublic field for the JobOrder entity, but if I use that in my query I don't get the exact number of results my client sees under the two aforementioned status types. But perhaps the isPublic field is filtering out those non-public Requirements. Does anyone have any experience with such an issue and can share their knowledge.

Alliance
User

Re: JobOrder unpublished requirements

Post by Alliance » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am

How are you defining a "Requirement"? I don't see anything relating the isPublic field to Requirements.

I believe the isPublic field is related to the JobOrder's published status, aka the on-line visibility of the JobOrder. Bullhorn defines this field as a boolean with 3 values.
0 is not published.
-1 is published and submitted
1 is published and approved

Where do your Requirements come from? Are these location/travel requirements (onSite and travelRequirement fields)? Or something else your company is classifying as a requirement internally?

Also, you should be able to combine your two queries into one:

isDeleted=0 AND isOpen=1 AND (status='Candidate Submitted' OR status='Accepting Candidates')

enapoleone
User

Post by enapoleone » Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Alliance,

Thank you for responding.

Requirement(s) is the terminology used by the Bullhorn Admin for a JobOrder. When I talk to my client we talk in terms of Requirements otherwise they get confused - they do not see things in terms of the Bullhorn WS API. Thus I was also using it here to establish a distinction. I'm not sure what else to call it.

I've also tried the query that you suggested and believe it or not but it does not produce the same amount of results as we see through the Bullhorn Admin. However thank you for the suggestion.

Would you agree that adding isPublic=1 is the safest thing to do in all situations?

Thanks!

enapoleone
User

Post by enapoleone » Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 am

I'm sorry the suggested query by Alliance does seem to work. I did attempt it before however I don't know why I was under the impression that it did not work.

isDeleted=0 AND isOpen=1 AND (status='Candidate Submitted' OR status='Accepting Candidates')

Alliance
User

Post by Alliance » Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 am

enapoleone wrote:Requirement(s) is the terminology used by the Bullhorn Admin for a JobOrder. When I talk to my client we talk in terms of Requirements otherwise they get confused - they do not see things in terms of the Bullhorn WS API. Thus I was also using it here to establish a distinction. I'm not sure what else to call it.
So "Requirement" == "JobOrder" ? That is confusing because it sounds like a Requirement would be an attribute of a JobOrder, not a JobOrder itself. Where does this list of Requirements for JobOrders get generated and stored? Inside Bullhorn, or elsewhere? Sounds like for each JobOrder you need to reference that JobOrder's list of Requirements to see if it is appropriate to post online? Or am I misunderstanding?
enapoleone wrote:I've also tried the query that you suggested and believe it or not but it does not produce the same amount of results as we see through the Bullhorn Admin.
Something else is wrong then. You should see consistent number of results since the logic is identical. Double check the maxResults param when you are performing the query(). What is it set to? Also mind that findMultiple() limits the number of DTOs you can fetch (to 20, I believe). If you plan to fetch more than that at once in a single call, you need to implement a loop that calls findMultiple() on the list of IDs you got from query() until you've fetched everything. Bottom line, you should not be getting two different results with the same logic.
enapoleone wrote:Would you agree that adding isPublic=1 is the safest thing to do in all situations?
"Safest" is subjective. We use isDeleted=0 AND isOpen=1 AND isPublic=1 for our public facing jobs list.
enapoleone wrote:Thanks!
You are very welcome.

enapoleone
User

Post by enapoleone » Mon May 13, 2013 10:57 am

I think that using the Bullhorn term 'Requirements' confused things here. I would not focus on it too much. However for further clarification what I'm talking about, when you got to http://bullhorn.com, click on 'Login' it brings you to an Admin - this is what my client sees. Requirements is a section that you can navigate to from the menu at the top and lists Job Orders.

All I'm trying to clarify is if there is a way to determine through the Bullhorn API what can an can not be posted on my client's website. You mention in an earlier reply:
I believe the isPublic field is related to the JobOrder's published status, aka the on-line visibility of the JobOrder. Bullhorn defines this field as a boolean with 3 values.
0 is not published.
-1 is published and submitted
1 is published and approved
'Believe' I guess being the operative word. Also that is the first time that I've seen as detailed a description of the isPublic field. I will admit I haven't read all revisions and their documentation but this is what I see.
Controls whether a job appears on the Bullhorn job board (if in use). Only 3 values allows, -1, 0, 1.
About the query, I do apologize, you were right, also I am chunking my data into blocks of 20 and running it through findMultiple and the query you suggest works as it should.

Thanks again!

Alliance
User

Post by Alliance » Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 am

I don't see Requirements where you describe it to be. Perhaps your client has this as a custom configuration?
There is no global rule about what can and can't be posted on your client's website. It's all dependent on how you want to interpret any of the available fields (including isPublic), and what your client desires to do with that information. If your client deems that only published and approved jobs should be posted on the website, then only post jobs that have isPublic == 1, and make sure Jobs are getting set to published and approved through the proper internal processes.