Job type description

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's Webservices API suite

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

turtmcfly
User

Job type description

Post by turtmcfly » Wed May 15, 2013 4:50 am

I'm trying to get descriptions for the various 'type' values on the JobOrder entity. The API docs just say the type is 'Stored in DB as integer with display values configured in field maps'

Searching here for 'field maps' seems to indicate (admittedly via posts from 4 years ago) I can't get at them through the Webservices API, and I'm directed to the legacy API, which is being deprecated in a few months so I don't want to use that.

Is there a general 'how to' for accessing field maps?

Alliance
User

Re: Job type description

Post by Alliance » Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am

I think by Field Maps the documentation means when you log in to Bullhorn as an admin, then go to Tools -> Field Mappings, then go to the Job section and expand that and look for the type field, it will have a box that says Value List that contains the values those integers map to. In other words, the display values are only for display within Bullhorn. I'm not sure there is a way to get to that Value List from the API. You could just have your code mimic the mapping, and solve your problem that way.

s.emmons
User

Post by s.emmons » Wed May 15, 2013 9:36 am

Hi turtmcfly,

If you can't get access to the front end application, you can use the getEntityMetaData operation to retrieve field map configurations for a given entity. Here is a link to the documentation page: http://developer.bullhorn.com/doc/versi ... tadata.htm

** Note: Because Bullhorn allows for 5 different JobOrder configurations (commonly referred to as job tracks), there is a seperate operation for jobs so that you can specify which job track to get the field map configurations for. You can find the documentation for that operation here: http://developer.bullhorn.com/doc/versi ... tadata.htm
Sam Emmons
Enterprise Team Lead
BULLHORN
US Support 617-478-9126

turtmcfly
User

Post by turtmcfly » Tue May 21, 2013 5:10 am

OK. I have called getJobOrderMetadata. It's not obvious to me what the typeid is doing, but if I set it to 1 and don't use the privateLabelId param (see below) I get a pretty big return, which does include the particular descriptions that I'm trying to get at. However...

I would obviously prefer to get just the descriptions I'm interested in. Is this what the privateLabelId parameter is for? If so, how do I work out what to set it to?

Also, the job type is coming back from the JobOrder entity as an integer. There is no corresponding integer value on the getJobOrderMetadata results (see below) which I can match this to. So, is the integer simply a pointer which says 'use the nth value from the meta data (in which case it would seem to start from zero)?

The specific portion of the XML response is shown below. I have a job which is displaying the second value here ('Luscious Landscapes') but which has a jobtype value of 1.

Code: Select all

<propertyMetas>
    <defaultValue>C</defaultValue>
    <editType>Drop Down</editType>
    <hidden>false</hidden>
    <hint></hint>
    <label>Nickname</label>
    <limit>0</limit>
    <multiple>false</multiple>
    <name>type</name>
    <required>false</required>
    <valueDisplayList>
        <display>A</display>
        <value>Critical Commercial</value>
    </valueDisplayList>
    <valueDisplayList>
        <display>B</display>
        <value>Luscious Landscapes</value>
    </valueDisplayList>
</propertyMetas>

turtmcfly
User

Post by turtmcfly » Tue May 21, 2013 6:10 am

Please ignore my point re. the jobtype value being 1 - it was 2. So it seems the job type does act as an index on the list of descriptions coming back - we added another couple of descriptions and they talley.

So, just need a way of limiting the return from getJobOrderMetadata to just these particular descriptions

s.emmons
User

Post by s.emmons » Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi turtmcfly,

The typeid passed in the getJobOrderMetadata request is used to differentiate between the 5 different JobOrder field map configurations each private label in Bullhorn has. This is why the request includes both parameters. These sets of configurations are commonly referred to as job tracks or job types.

Number 1 is used as the "master list" and the other four are used for individual employment types. Since different employment types require our clients to record different kinds of data, we set this up so that when adding a job, the user can select an employment type (for example, Permanent) and then finish adding the job by filling out fields that are specific to Permament employment. To illustrate this further:

On Job Track 1, configure the employmentType field with three possible values: Permanent, Contract, Temporary

On Job Track 2, add Permanent as the only value for employmentType. This means that all jobs where employmentType=Permanent will use the field map configurations of Job Track 2.

On Job Track 3, add Contract as the only value for employmentType. This means that all jobs where employmentType=Contract will use the field map configurations of Job Track 3.

On Job Track 4, add Temporary as the only value for employmentType. This means that all jobs where employmentType=Temporary will use the field map configurations of Job Track 4.

Again, 5 job tracks are available for every private label. So if a company had 3 private labels, there is a potential for 15 different sets of JobOrder configurations. This is why it is important to pass the proper typeId and privateLabelId in the getJobOrderMetadata request so your response contains accurate information. There is no way to limit the response, though. The operation simply takes in the two parameters and returns the field map data for the specific job track & private label you entered in the request.
Sam Emmons
Enterprise Team Lead
BULLHORN
US Support 617-478-9126

turtmcfly
User

Post by turtmcfly » Tue May 21, 2013 2:18 pm

But at the moment I'm not passing at private label id in at all. And I want to, as I assume this will cut the return down somewhat. My question is, how do I find out which private label id I need to use (i.e. to return just the data as shown in my previous post which, is a subset of the much larger return I actually get.

s.emmons
User

Post by s.emmons » Tue May 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi turtmcfly,

If you're not a Bullhorn customer, you can obtain privateLabelIds directly from your client.

If you are, please have your Account or Support Contact submit a ticket to Bullhorn Support for this request if they do not already know their privateLabelIds
Sam Emmons
Enterprise Team Lead
BULLHORN
US Support 617-478-9126