DateTime time component Timezone identifier

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's Webservices API suite

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

Telmar
User

DateTime time component Timezone identifier

Post by Telmar » Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 am

Using API 2.5 to gather Candidates and Placements. In each of those objects there are a number of Datetime fields that really only represent a Date (Date of Birth, or Date Started for example).

The issue is pretty simple: the Datetime is offset based on some Timezone difference. The challenge is that it is not consistent. Some are offset by 1 hour, some by 2 and some by 3. The result is that the Date component is one day off (DOB of 2/15/1970 shows up as 2/14/1970 22:00:00).

Clearly I can just add 4 or 6 hours to the Datetime value and come up with the correct result, but that seems like a very poor solution. Is there an official method for converting the Datetime value returned by the API into a specified Timezone, or some other means of getting the correct Date component?

Thank you,
Brian Meagher

al.shenker
User

Re: DateTime time component Timezone identifier

Post by al.shenker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm not replying as someone familiar with the Bullhorn API or system, and this may or may not be useful to you, but here goes...

While I don't use Bullhorn myself (I am tasked with creating functionality from the API), I am told by those that do use it that there can often be complications arising from user timezones. Each user has some sort of timezone information set for their account. So, when the user enters a date/time for something (such as a calendar appointment), the date/time can be converted to whatever timezone is necessary for proper storage and display.I suppose this works fine for actual date/times, but it would appear it plays havoc with dates for which the time is unnecessary. A birth date or start date is typically defined as 12:00 am on the date. Apparently what Bullhorn is doing is storing these as datetimes, and not as 12:00am universally, but rather 12:00am in the specific timezone which is set for the user entering the data. If this is the case, it is an unfortunate design decision/flaw, what have you. In order to obtain the correct date, you will need to know the timezone offset for the user who entered it and this should allow you to figure out if the date portion is correct or off by a day. I assume this user timezone offset info is obtainable through the api, though I am unaware of how to find this out. In fact, I am not really sure where any documentations for the 2.5 version can be found. As someone who appears to be using 2.5, do you have any guidance for my post question at: http://supportforums.bullhorn.com/viewt ... ecffe0d2d9?

Good luck with your problem.

Albert Shenker

tericson
User

Re: DateTime time component Timezone identifier

Post by tericson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:38 am

Hi Brian,

My apologies for the delay in response on this post! All Datetime fields in Bullhorn are stored in Eastern Standard time. If you have a specific example where it appears to be working otherwise, please let us know and we can take a closer look.

Thank you!
Tracy Ericson
Enterprise Support Analyst
B U L L H O R N
Staffing and Recruiting Software, On Target, On Demand
33-41 Farnsworth Street, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02210
617-478-9126 (main)