SQL backup files structure

Post questions on how to interpret your Bullhorn SQL Server backup of your Database.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons

cmay1
User

SQL backup files structure

Post by cmay1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Does anyone have an example of what these backup files look like, i.e. format, etc.? We are transitioning from Bullhorn to ADP and ADP cannot use the SQL files so I have to work with another vendor to try to transition the files into a more ADP-friendly format, but in order to do so that vendor would like to see what the files look like (and we're trying to hold out backup until closer to our end date).

apsmith
Site Admin

Re: SQL backup files structure

Post by apsmith » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:49 am

They are not files. The backup is a standard SQL server backup. You will need to restore the backup using SQL Server and then you can export to whatever format you need.
Andrew Smith
Director, Technical Operations
Developer Forum Admin

cmay1
User

Post by cmay1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Ok, thank you! I don't know anything about SQL files, but your answer has helped me work with Tech Support on it! Also, for anyone else wondering - Bullhorn will do a "standard data backup" for free that involves about 1 month of data in this format. So, if you're looking for a sample to test then you can ask for this standard backup.

apsmith
Site Admin

Post by apsmith » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Good to hear.

To be clear, standard backups have all data, not just a month. The standard backups have 1 month of file attachments, but the database backup is ALL data.
Andrew Smith
Director, Technical Operations
Developer Forum Admin