File attachment API

Have a question about Bullhorn's HTTP based APIs? You've found the right place.

API Update [posted on December 13, 2012]:

This version of the Bullhorn APIs should no longer be used.

All new work should be done using Bullhorn's REST or Web Services APIs. For more information please visit: http://developer.bullhorn.com/documentation

Bullhorn REST API provides a simpler and faster way for developers to build applications that interact with the Bullhorn platform and is used by Bullhorn Inc. to develop features of the Bullhorn ATS/CRM application.

Of the BullhornSTAFFING HTTP API interfaces listed below, our analysis shows that the following are most commonly used by developers:

Resume Parsing API
Published Job Data (XML)
The interface to these will continue to work as is because Bullhorn will replace the back end to use REST API. The URLs for these 2 specific APIs may change in the 2nd half of 2013; developers may require to update their applications to use the new URLs.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons

Sunlight Studios

File attachment API

Post by Sunlight Studios » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:35 am

For the file attachement API, is there a way to set the default file type during upload. If not, what is the default file type?

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:45 am

The API does not currently allow you to change the type of the file you are uploading.

sunlight Studios

Post by sunlight Studios » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 am

What is the default filetype when it is uploaded? General or Internal?

Jason

Default file type "NA"

Post by Jason » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:59 pm

It seems the default type is "NA". I uploaded some attachments via the Bullhorn web interface and then retrieved the list using the Get File List API. The XML type appeared as follows:

<type_STRING>NA</type_STRING>

Regards,
Jason

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:34 pm

Wow, thanks for the response Jason. We're really excited to see developers answering other developer's questions.

Yeah, the default status is NA. It actually goes into the database as NULL, then comes back out via the API as NA. In Bullhorn, it displays as blank.

sunlightstudios-icd.com

Post by sunlightstudios-icd.com » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks. But I don't think we can set it on upload. The problem is that by setting it to null, the application interprets this as "General" - meaning that clients can go in and view a candidate's "unscrubbed" resume. I don't know about your recruiter, but the one I am working with currently does not let their clients view the candidate's raw file. So the best thing for me would be to able to set the file type to "internal" during the save process....(A not so subtle hint for Bullhorn future developement)

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu May 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Jim Lynch mentioned to me that some work might be done to the API sometime soon to make this possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

sunlightstudios-icd.com

Post by sunlightstudios-icd.com » Tue May 08, 2007 12:07 pm

there is an option on the api test pages to update the resume overview when uploading a file. I have added &updateResumeOverview=TRUE to the form post but it does not appear to be working...am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Jessica

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Tue May 08, 2007 12:55 pm

That looks right to me. What that option does it if the document is a parsable one (ie, DOC/HTML, etc), then it will update just the description field on the candidate's record. It doesn't update other fields, like address of phone number.

You could try it from the API test page and see if the results are any different. Also, make sure that the "description" field in the database is the one you're displaying via the Field Maps on the overview. It can be configured to be hidden, and another field could be labled description, for example.

sunlightstudios-icd.com

Post by sunlightstudios-icd.com » Tue May 08, 2007 1:29 pm

The update works from the api test page perfectly. I have confirmed that the url being sent via http includes that option. It just isn't making the update like the form is.

The url being posted is:

https://www.bullhorn.com/BullhornStaffi ... fm?userID=" & sUserID & "&privateLabelID=" & pLabel & "&encryptedAPIKey=" & eKey & "&updateResumeOverview=TRUE"

I have confirmed that all of the variables are being filled in properly. The file hets uploaded and attached - it is just the resume overview that isn't happening.

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 pm

So, when you say that the update works perfectly from the test page, do you mean that the description is being updated as well, or does the description not get updated no matter where you do the update from?

sunlightstudios-icd.com

Post by sunlightstudios-icd.com » Tue May 08, 2007 1:42 pm

The description gets updated from the bullhorn api test page.

cseibert
Bullhorn Employee

Post by cseibert » Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 pm

Ok, that's good. Have you tried posting that option as a FORM parameter rather than a URL parameter?

If you have already tried that, I would try to use some kind of proxy so we can see what data is being posted in either case.

sunlightstudios-icd.com

Post by sunlightstudios-icd.com » Tue May 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Using it as a form field worked. thanks.