Lead and Contact Association

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

jasonjakes
User

Lead and Contact Association

Post by jasonjakes »

I am looking to understand why the Lead to Contact and Contact to Lead association is a "To-many" relationship in the Bullhorn API. It does not seem possible to create multiple contacts to one lead, nor multiple leads to one contact (Same for Candidates) through the Bullhorn User interface (or through the API). We are looking to use leads programmatically through the API and understand their link to other entities like candidates and contacts. We want to make sure things are designed appropriately and need to understand if "To-many" relationship can exist in reality or whether they cannot. If they can, what would the use case be? Thanks!

lauraingalls
User

Re: Lead and Contact Association

Post by lauraingalls »

Hi Jason,

Although it is a To-Many, this only has to do with the array being displayed and saved in REST. The database fields exist as a single value.

Much like if the categoryID field was limited to a single value (which can be done in Field Maps), it would still be a To-Many association and an array.
To-Many associations in REST mainly refer to references to other entities (database secondary keys).

Let me know if that clarifies things a bit further!

-Laura

jasonjakes
User

Post by jasonjakes »

Laura,
Thanks for the reply and in the case of Categories there is definitely the potential for it to be a "To-many" relationship. On the lead record there is a purposed field for Client Corporation ID since there can only be one. However, with a Contact it is a "To-many" relationship even though there can only be one? In the UI, you can only choose one, but in the API potentially more associations?

I was just trying to understand why an array is being used if there can only be one. If it is only one, that answers my question but if there is the potential for more than one we need to be aware so the designed integration doesn't break or perform inaccurately if all of the sudden 3 contacts are associated to a lead.

Please confirm that we are sure there can only be one Contact or Candidate per lead and in the other direction, one lead to each Contact or Candidate.

Thanks,
Jason

lauraingalls
User

Post by lauraingalls »

Hi Jason,

There can only be one Contact or Candidate per Lead and vice versa. It isn't possible via the API or the UI to have more than one in either direction.

-Laura