Bullhorn API * deprecation

Forum for users and developers of Bullhorn's API service.

Moderators: StaffingSupport, s.emmons, BullhornSupport

connectorsTray
User

Bullhorn API * deprecation

Post by connectorsTray »

Hello,

Given your announcement concerning the deprecation of the '*' wildcard syntax in your API, I would like to confirm whether this affects the version parameter of the Login endpoint or whether it is just for the body of requests?
tluczak
User

Re: Bullhorn API * deprecation

Post by tluczak »

This will only affect fields=*
rdantzler
User

Post by rdantzler »

Note: Other than for /meta/{entityType}, the fields=* syntax is now deprecated because of negative performance impact. Calls using this syntax will be blocked.
Many of our systems integrations depend on this call. When can we expect these calls to be blocked?
RYAN DANTZLER
DEVELOPER at FILTER
206-708-8950
rdantzler@filterdigital.com
tluczak
User

Post by tluczak »

rdantzler wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm
Note: Other than for /meta/{entityType}, the fields=* syntax is now deprecated because of negative performance impact. Calls using this syntax will be blocked.
Many of our systems integrations depend on this call. When can we expect these calls to be blocked?
This is expected to be in place by 12/31.
kschutten
User

Post by kschutten »

I did not receive / see the announcement. Since we are using this to load our data warehouse and all other integrations....
Where could I have read this?
bbagwell
User

Post by bbagwell »

Our Marketing team is working to provide this communication out to all Partners and impacted Clients over the coming weeks. In the meantime, here are the details:

We will be removing the ability to use the '*' syntax in retrieving fields from API entities, effective January 1, 2021. To clarify, this capability will still be available for metadata queries, query parameters, and login; yet, will no longer be supported for retrieving values from specific entities.
This capability was originally offered as a convenience for developers during the prototyping phase, but was never intended to be utilized for production applications. Our operational teams have found that this feature generates unnecessary load on Bullhorn infrastructure, and has been linked to several production incidents.

To support this change, we are asking developers to update API requests to supply a specific list of fields on API requests rather than using fields=*. We recognize that this may take time to identify and update every usage of this feature, which is why we're extending the support through the end of the year. In the meantime, our teams are happy to offer support and guidance throughout the process.

Action Required:
Update API calls to request a specific list of fields rather than using ‘fields=*’

Deadline:
January 1, 2021

Impact:
Effective January 1, 2021, any API calls using the ‘fields=.*’ syntax will return an error, causing correlated API processes to fail
kschutten
User

Post by kschutten »

Thanks for the confirmation. I also received the email yesterday.

From our companies perspective this in an unacceptable change!
A part of the service offered is now withdrawn, where Bullhorn side is gaining in less server power, but at the (high) cost of customers/partners.

This action will imply that almost any customer/partners who has developed anything on the Bullhorn API will have to revise their code. Or better to say let revise their code for them (not many customers will do this in-house).

I will not be surprised when this doesn't become reality as there will be too much negativity around it.
We at least are sending a firm "Against" in for our company! I guess (and I look at you, developers!) many will follow....
bbagwell
User

Post by bbagwell »

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass on your feedback to our teams.

As noted int he announcement, this capability was originally offered as a convenience for developers during the prototyping phase, but was never intended to be utilized for production applications.